Create a Butterfly Puddle
Download: Create a Butterfly Puddle
Overview: Make your butterfly garden even more attractive to these beautiful creatures by adding a special water and nutrient source for them.
- Shallow container
- Soil, composted manure or salt
Approximate Time to Complete: 15 minutes
Ages: All Ages
Season: Spring - Fall
In addition to foliage plants for the larval stage and blooming plants for the adult stage, puddles or other shallow water sources are important, primarily for male butterflies, as a source of salt and amino acids. If you have no naturally occurring puddles, try making one to add to your butterfly garden.
- Locate a shallow container like a large clay or plastic pot saucer. You can also make your own creative design using concrete or purchase a pre-made puddling stone. The only requirement for your container is that it be able to hold water.
- Fill your container with sand up to the very top.
- To provide the salts and amino acids the butterflies are searching for, add a small amount of soil, composted manure or a pinch of salt and mix with your sand.
- Smooth out your sand and create a slight indention in the center for your puddle.
- Add water and then place in your butterfly garden. Next sit back and watch for large congregations of male butterflies and their drinking buddies.
- Replace water as needed. Depending on the weather, you may need to add more water every couple of days.
Want to add more accessories? Try placing a couple of flat, dark stones in your garden to offer a spot where butterflies can bask in the sun and warm their bodies for flying.