Em has more than 12 years of leadership experience working for nonprofits such as the Sustainable Food Lab, New Hampshire Charitable Foundation, KidsGardening, the Upper Valley Waldorf School, and the Vermont Foodbank.
For as long as Em can remember she has been committed to growing community. She is a passionate advocate for children and the planet and believes that garden-based learning and hands-on, placed-based education benefit both.
Em has also worked as a professional gardener and garden designer and spends all of her free time (and then some) digging in the dirt.
As a mom of two young boys, Em knows that gardening helps kids:
- Slow down and notice things, calm their minds and bodies
- Reconnect to their natural surroundings, their senses, bodies, and minds
- Feel healthier and more alive by getting physical activity, vitamin D, and fresh air
- Eat better by connecting to where their fruits and veggies come from
- Cultivate a growth mindset, learning to appreciate “mistakes” as fun opportunities to try something new the next time
- Grow and nurture their sense of curiosity, joy, and wonder in the natural world and its processes